Frequently Asked Questions

Who would benefit from your services?

Anyone with a tax situation that involves both US and Canadian source income could benefit from our services. Canadian residents working in the US, owning property in the US or residents who have other US source income, would benefit from our expertise in cross border taxes. We use our knowledge of US tax law and the Canada/US tax treaty to minimize both your Canadian and US tax liability.

US citizens have filing requirements and other compliance issues, regardless of where they live. In most cases, if done properly you will not owe any money to the IRS. However, there can be significant penalties for failure to file certain forms on a timely basis. Our firm can ensure that US citizens meet their US filing and reporting requirements.

How does your firm compare with other tax preparation services and CPA firms?

We are CPA's in both Canada and the US. Our firm specializes in cross border issues. We do our best to understand your tax situation. We ask the right questions so that we have all the necessary information to minimize both your US and Canadian taxes.

How do your prices compare to other tax preparation services and CPA firms?

We provide expertise in an area of tax that is specialized and can be complex. You would think that the cost of this type of expertise would be expensive. However, you will find that our prices are very competitive and, in the vast majority of cases, they are lower than other firms. Let us provide you with a free, no obligation quote.

How do I know which forms I will need to file?

Each taxpayer's situation is different. The best way to find out is to submit your documents to us for a free quote. We will provide a written price estimate. There is no obligation to proceed with our services.

I am concerned about sending my documents to you over the internet. Should I be?

We send and receive documents using secure email and provide password protection.

I am a Canadian resident who commutes daily to US for work. What are my filing requirements?

Along with your Canadian tax return, you are required to file a US Federal, State and City return depending on where you work. There are certain filing options using the Canada/US tax treaty which may reduce your taxes significantly. Submit your documents for a free quote.

I have a lot of questions regarding my tax situation. Are phone consultations available?

Yes. Please fill out the Information Request Form and we will schedule a phone consultation at an agreeable time. We reserve the right to charge a consultation fee depending on the nature of the inquiry.

I don’t think my Canadian and US tax returns for prior years were prepared correctly. Can you review them for me to make sure they are correct?

Yes. We will be pleased to review your prior year returns for any potential issues and tax savings. There is no charge for this service.

I am starting a job in the US and will be moving there in the near future. Is there anything I can do to minimize my taxes and avoid any compliance issues?

There are a number of things that can be done before you leave Canada to avoid problems down the road. This would include looking at your investments, retirement plans, etc. Contact us before you move so that you can take the necessary steps to avoid problems and compliance issues.

I am a US citizen but I have lived in Canada all my life. I did not realize that I had to file tax returns in the US until now. How do I go about getting caught up on my US filings?

You may qualify for the Streamlined Filing Procedure program. You will have to file the last 3 year's tax returns and 6 years of form Fincen114(FBAR). In most cases no tax is owed and penalties are waived. Contact us to see if you qualify.